Battle of the IPA's: AUS vs USA. The results are in....
Over the weekend there was a showdown. Little Creatures Pale Ale (LCPA) from Australia in the green and gold corner, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (SNPA) from the USA in the red, white and blue corner. Allies in Afghanistan and Iraq meet to slog it out over the neutral ground of my flat in Brook Green, London. I should not big this up as a competition as really both these beers are awesome, but there is national pride at stake here. While they are extremely similar beers and probably made with almost the same grain bill and hopping regime, the experiences of the two beers are completely different.I won't intellectualize each beer individually but concentrate on their differences.
Colour: They are both amber, but the LCPA seems to be slightly lighter in colour.
Carbonation: The LCPA has only very mild carbonation, although this could be a consistency issue. Bottles I have had in the past have been more carbonated. The SNPA was strongly carbonated at a level similar to US mega lager.
Aroma: Both had a similar citrus aroma, however the LCPA's was stronger and contained a pineapple/passionfruit note which was absent from the SNPA. I think LC uses chinook hops as well as cascade.
Body/mouthfeel/taste: I am lumping all these together. Overall they taste different. SNPA is very malty and has a chalk like bite. I think they use water that is a lot harder than the water used in LCPA. SNPA tastes a lot more bitter (perceived bitterness) because of this as well, but I bet these beers have very similar IBU levels. The LCPA tastes thinner, but more refreshing. You could drink more of it.
Which beer is better? Well they are both awesome beers, but different animals in the glass. If I was only having one beer and sipping on it, I would choose the SNPA. If I was drinking all day long in the Australian sun, then I would choose LCPA.
I should also note that I have deliberately called these beers IPA's rather than APA's. Although both of these beers appear to use American hops and would fall within the style guidelines for an APA - they are basically IPA's. Style guidelines are stupid - keep it simple.
Labels: Ale, APA, IPA, Little Creatures, Sierra Nevada

9 Comments:
What's the abv. on LCPA? Is it 5.7% like Sierra Nevada? I agree with your theory that SNPA probably uses hard water. It does have an iron bite to it. The Australian summer climate is probably similar to the one is Southern California. I agree, I'd rather drink something lighter in body, with probably less alcohol.
The LCPA is Little Creatures Pale Ale. i thoughth that would be obvious. I'll spell it out.
LCPA is 5.2%, so a little bit weaker than SNPA. I did the comparison as a number of people keep trying to tell me that they tase nearly identical - which is clearly not the case.
BTW - Avery sells both of these beers.
I opened a bottle of the SNPA after reading your blog last week - it's such an awesome beer, I'm so glad it's available in Tesco!
@wurst, SNPA says 5.6% on the bottle.
I thought it was 5.7%. I stand corrected.
I just terminated Boak & Bailey's beer blog from my pages in nuclear fashion. I highly recommend this method when dealing with these gutter snipe, beer upstarts who think they know what they're talking about. Don't get me wrong, I don't have an aversion to everyone, just a few. The Doc is cool, Tom at the Black Cat Brewery, Avery, Bell, Dave, his mate in Oregon, Talismann, John.
Together, we have the technology to control this virus that was started by some beer geek in a pub with a notebook.
ABV = alcohol by volume
I've finally had me some Little Creatures! I've been meaning to comment here but kept forgetting. I was pretty underwhelmed to be honest, I think the SNPA wins any day!
Hi Mark,
I think they are different beers, but share a common grain bill. LCPA is a lot mroe hoppy, where SNPA leans mroe towards bitterness and malt.
I think they are both good, but I love the aroma of LCPA.
FlyingDog IPA is my fav at the moment though.
Post a Comment
Comments welcome, however if you are a ticker, weird beard or anonymous spammer expect to have your comments edited or removed.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home