Friday, October 2, 2009

The Oaks

Last night I stopped into "The Oaks", a large modernised pub on Military Road, Neutral Bay with an impressive sprawling Oak tree in the beer garden. The pub is what I would call trendy but it's not overly pretentious either and it was pleasant enough to drink my Schooner of Coopers Pale Ale. The crowd was a mix of punters ranging from tradies getting a few in after a day at work, to families enjoying a get together and evening meal in the beer garden. Overall a family friendly venue that would be great for a few beers on a sunny summer afternoon.
The oak tree itself seems to have an impressive history. It was planted in August 1938 By landlord Kathleen McGill (nee Furlong). The original seedling, 30cm high came from the old Anthony Horden's department store in George Street, Sydney. It was a custom of the store in those days to give an Oak Tree to any patron spending more than Ten pounds in one purchase. Apparently it is a tradition that luck comes to those who are struck by an acorn when they fall in Autumn. I think I would rather forsake this luck than be hit on the head but that's me.

In other news - tonight I am off to Wildfire Restaurant for dinner tonight, but not after a couple of pints in the Lord Nelson. Wildfire has an impressive drinks list with beers from just about every Australian boutique brewery. The Lord Nelson is a brewpub in The Rocks which churns out awesome beers. It should be a good night.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Barry said...

more of the same shit.do us all a favour and pack it in.

October 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Yet you keep coming back Barry. Thanks for being my most loyal reader!

October 2, 2009 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger The Beer Nut said...

I've eaten in Wildfire. Lovely spot. Hope you enjoy(ed).

October 2, 2009 at 6:23 PM  
Anonymous pint pot paul said...

Def.No doubt Timmy will be on the agenda! How about we discuss the festival on here afterwards?

October 2, 2009 at 7:43 PM  
Anonymous Barry said...

yeah im up for it

October 2, 2009 at 8:25 PM  
Anonymous Baptist Bob said...

Does evil go unpunished?

We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, the one who is and who always was, for now you have assumed your great power and have begun to reign. The nations were angry with you, but now the time of your wrath has come. It is time to judge the dead and reward your servants. You will reward your prophets and your holy people, all who fear your name, from the least to the greatest. And you will destroy all who have caused destruction on the earth.

Revelation 11:17-18

October 2, 2009 at 9:22 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

@Beer Nut - Wildfire was nice. I had a pint of Three Sheets and Old Admiral the Lord Nelson before dinner. Whilst Wildfire was nice, it was lackin a little on previous experiences.

PAul, Frank and Barry you are most welcome to discuss your ticks here under the knowledge that Baptist Bob is praying for your sins. I dare you to order a full pint at your festival. I dare you to shave as well, you social devients.

October 2, 2009 at 10:00 PM  
Anonymous B-Dang said...

Paul, frank and barry your the beer stogies are you trying to court Tim? do you wanna take him on a date?? sure seems like it to me!! you dont agree with what he blogs about simple dont ever read his blog again. but you continue to post your slander... bye the way what blog to you guys write i'd love to leave some cock pics on your blog cause i know you love em!!!!! hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

October 2, 2009 at 10:59 PM  
Blogger Whorst said...

I think I see what's going on here. These guys need a track.

October 3, 2009 at 12:16 AM  
Blogger Beer Blokes said...

Tim,

Just got a 'comment' from the Australia Hotel re their Beer Festival in late October. Interested to hear your thoughts on this heritage hotel and their place in the Beer World. Ooops! Sorry! I seem to have interupted a Tickers Convention ... I wanted to talk about beer. Is that OK?

Cheers
Prof. Pilsner

October 3, 2009 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Discussions about beer here welcome. Discussions on stamp collecting are not :)

October 5, 2009 at 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, however if you are a ticker, weird beard or anonymous spammer expect to have your comments edited or removed.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home