It's called soccer not football
Why do nearly all soccer fans outside of the UK support Manchester United? Like Manchester really.... I’ve always considered it a northern shithole. The only good thing about the place is they film Spooks Code 9 there and even that’s not enough afford any respect. I find it really ironic that everyone I know who comes from Manchester seems to support either Manchester City or Brummie team Aston Villa. When people who are local to the area don’t support a team then I guess it’s not worth supporting. So why the fascination with Manchester United? I guess it stems from the fact that they won shed-loads of trophies in the 90’s and are still relatively good performers, even if their line-up is completely comprised of moronic chavs like Wayne Rooney. I guess it’s more fun supporting the winning team than the loosing team. But why do these people become fanatical about man U for? Why don’t they just change teams and follow whoever is winning in any given season?
I don’t follow soccer but I have a soft spot none the less for Fulham as I happened to live in the area. I was local, not someone jumping on the cool bandwagon from 20,000 miles away.
Another thing that’s been winding me up a bit is Australian’s who try to insist that soccer is called football. I’m sorry this is well out of order. It’s soccer and that is the final word. I don’t care if it’s an acronym for association football. Australia and the UK use different colloquialisms for various things. For the last three and a half years I have had to put up with joggers being called trainers, capsicums being called peppers, zucchini’s being called courgettes, eggplant being called aubergine and I won’t even start down the track of what a “thong” is in the UK. So in Australia ‘football’ is rugby or any other code played by men. Soccer is a game for pseudo-men who are too scared to play football. No word of a lie.
I realise that this has absolutely nothing to do with beer, but I had to set the record straight. And finally, Rugby is the game they play in heaven while soccer is the game they play in cold shitholes in Europe when they either come up from a mine or knock off from a hard day in the copper smelter.
I don’t follow soccer but I have a soft spot none the less for Fulham as I happened to live in the area. I was local, not someone jumping on the cool bandwagon from 20,000 miles away.
Another thing that’s been winding me up a bit is Australian’s who try to insist that soccer is called football. I’m sorry this is well out of order. It’s soccer and that is the final word. I don’t care if it’s an acronym for association football. Australia and the UK use different colloquialisms for various things. For the last three and a half years I have had to put up with joggers being called trainers, capsicums being called peppers, zucchini’s being called courgettes, eggplant being called aubergine and I won’t even start down the track of what a “thong” is in the UK. So in Australia ‘football’ is rugby or any other code played by men. Soccer is a game for pseudo-men who are too scared to play football. No word of a lie.
I realise that this has absolutely nothing to do with beer, but I had to set the record straight. And finally, Rugby is the game they play in heaven while soccer is the game they play in cold shitholes in Europe when they either come up from a mine or knock off from a hard day in the copper smelter.

7 Comments:
Here here.
It's always been soccer in Australia until lately it's become fashionable to call it football. The best part is how hard soccer fans fire up when you call it soccer.
As for being a game for pseudo-men, I seem to recall you played for a number of years!
I like it all. Liking a particular game is largely based on where you were raised. I love both US baseball and football. The reason I love it is because I was raised here. In saying that, I can understand why people like UK football and rugby. They're both great games.
I never really played soccer. I just got drunk and stumbled around the pitch. There is no way you can play rugby drunk.
If Rugby players would hold there hands up and admit the rituals surrounding their sport are almost entirely homoerotic, I'd respect them. As it is, what I see is a load of badly-dressed beefcakes with dodgy haircuts doing very unconvincing impressions of straight men.
their not there
Jeffrey, how do explain 'soccer' players hugging and carrying on after scoring? Not just homoerotic, just plain sissy.
Anyhow i'd much rather watch from the safety of the local.
There's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy homoeroticism. Some of the toughest men in history took it up the arse - Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar. And although he had Josephine, I'm pretty sure Napoleon would have enjoyed showering with the troops after a hard day's conquering Europe.
Post a Comment
Comments welcome, however if you are a ticker, weird beard or anonymous spammer expect to have your comments edited or removed.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home