Friday, August 15, 2008

Innis & Gunn

After watching a recent episode of Gordon Ramsey's "The F Word" where he served up his own beer, I was curious about the beer that inspired his brew: Innis & Gunn (6.6% abv). After tasting the beer I was seriously questioning Gordon's taste buds! The stuff is b.l.a.n.d! I can understand how he liked the fact that it has no aftertaste, the problem is it is not really well balanced. It has oodles of oak flavour, however it has no bitterness, no malt flavours and a slight alcohol warmth. Overall a pretty boring beer which tastes like someone has just fermented out some unhopped malt extract and stuffed it in an oak barrel for a month. I suppose it has the kinds of flavours that whiskey connoisseurs can detect which leaves the everyday folk baffled to what all the fuss is about.
Apparently there is a Limited Edition version available as well which is 7.2% abv. I wouldn't bother hunting it down based upon the regular offering! Website: http://www.innisandgunn.com/

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a really great beer. I don't think I could tire of it.

August 15, 2008 at 6:35 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Really? or have you bought into the oak aged gimmick as well??

August 15, 2008 at 6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a tasty beer. Personally, it's quite possibly my favourite of the moment. I only got linked to your site as I'm trying to acquire a case of it for less than the supermarkets sell it for.
G Fernie

May 16, 2009 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger Matthew Wheadon said...

tim, its no gimmick you tit. its a tried and tested method!
bland and dull? you need to get your taste buds tested haha

i love this beer. trying to get the innis and gunn glass as i sp..type!

October 9, 2009 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

It's dull and unexciting. Where are the hops? Where is the malt? In some countries it wouldn't even qualify as beer. You should also consider that this was posted well before the current trend of barrel conditioned beers came out. 18 Months agao it was a gimmick.

October 9, 2009 at 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, however if you are a ticker, weird beard or anonymous spammer expect to have your comments edited or removed.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home