I heard someone say the exact opposite yesterday, something along the lines of "Thank God for CAMRA through the 80s and 90s or else we'd have no good beer in this country".
Before my beer drinking time so I have no opinion!
Anyway a hi-5 to BrewDog for shouting about their shaking upping, not forgetting all those other dynamic British (and world) breweries that are creating new and exciting ales.
At best, it's a simplistic argument. You might as well say that publicans hold back innovation - I have a lot of customers who won't take beer over 4%. It's not just ABV, I took some "Best Bitter" to a customer the other day who said (straight quote) "I hope it's not too bitter"! Or why not blame the drinker who wants to sink 8 pints in a session.
There's lots of scope for a range of beer style, strengths and flavours in the market - the US 'craft' styles favoured by BrewDog as well as the British styles which you might suspect CAMRA types prefer.
Ultimately, it's drinker / retailer demand that determines what brewers will brew.
True, but there are more than one type of keg. Total filtration with pasteurization, or just lightly filtered, Proper Real Keg. I could also include the the measly amount of 4% alpha acid old world hops in the basic keg. The English haven't completely figured out that you can brew keg beer that's phenomenal. I just experienced this with five spot on pints of Russian River IPA.
6 Comments:
It's a point of view, but really, brewers have held back innovation in British Brewing.
Still, Brew Dog has shaken things up, but let's see what the long term brings.
I heard someone say the exact opposite yesterday, something along the lines of "Thank God for CAMRA through the 80s and 90s or else we'd have no good beer in this country".
Before my beer drinking time so I have no opinion!
Anyway a hi-5 to BrewDog for shouting about their shaking upping, not forgetting all those other dynamic British (and world) breweries that are creating new and exciting ales.
At best, it's a simplistic argument. You might as well say that publicans hold back innovation - I have a lot of customers who won't take beer over 4%. It's not just ABV, I took some "Best Bitter" to a customer the other day who said (straight quote) "I hope it's not too bitter"! Or why not blame the drinker who wants to sink 8 pints in a session.
There's lots of scope for a range of beer style, strengths and flavours in the market - the US 'craft' styles favoured by BrewDog as well as the British styles which you might suspect CAMRA types prefer.
Ultimately, it's drinker / retailer demand that determines what brewers will brew.
Innovation=Proper Real Keg
Hmmm, Sausage if you are going to make that claim, keg is an innovation in general.
True, but there are more than one type of keg. Total filtration with pasteurization, or just lightly filtered, Proper Real Keg. I could also include the the measly amount of 4% alpha acid old world hops in the basic keg. The English haven't completely figured out that you can brew keg beer that's phenomenal. I just experienced this with five spot on pints of Russian River IPA.
Post a Comment
Comments welcome, however if you are a ticker, weird beard or anonymous spammer expect to have your comments edited or removed.
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home